Is it just us, or does the first hint of British springtime make you feel like throwing off your winter coat, clearing out that wardrobe and filling it with a rainbow of new retro treasures? Well you’re in luck – Spring 2016 is finally go and it’s time to think about what we’re wearing.
Unsurprisingly, we’re not really ones for following fashion (vintage is forever darling), but we do like to tip our toe into the trends every once in a while. After scouring blogs, magazines and trend reports, here are the five key looks you can expect to be coveting over the coming months.
If an exotic holiday is looking like something of a pipe dream, the global trend should bring a little sunshine into your life. This is all about warm colours and print – opt for bold flowers, palm leaves, pom poms and heavy embellishment to avoid dipping into the distasteful realm of cultural appropriation. If in doubt, check out the style of Solange Knowles, Vogue stylist Julia Sarr-Jamois or our very own bookings and flea manager Donna (pictured below!)!
Satin jackets, bomber jackets, varsity jackets…no matter what you call them, this is the one style of outerwear that will reign supreme in SS16. Ranging from embroidered sports teams to graphic patterns and everything in between, their versatility makes them a great investment piece. Wear yours over a 50s frock for a girly prom look, or keep it casual with trainers and cuffed jeans. Kilo Manager Jenessa found this great red number at a London Kilo Sale – due to the super light fabric, it clocked in at a crazy-cheap £6!
Seen on the high fashion catwalks of Chanel and marc Jacobs to name but a few, romantic frills are everywhere – bonus points if they’re in a pretty pastel. To go all out, opt for a off-shoulder fit with ruffles all around – channel your inner Carmen Miranda! If you’re fearful of looking a little too downtown abbey, a rouched high collar or a peplum skirt should fit the bill. Fancy getting crafty? We love Hannah from Paloma In Disguise’s frilly DIY – http://www.palomaindisguise.com/2016/02/an-oxfam-spring-upcycle.html
Forget your usual pinstripe or a nautical number – this season stripes take centre stage. The more lurid the better – combine yours with checked or spotted separates for ultimate mind-bending pattern. We’ll be sporting ours in rainbows – try blending sunny yellowand candy pink together, or orange and purple – clashing is the aim of the game! Pinterest is absolutely bursting with inspiration – we found this great example on Elle Canada, using white as a spacer to create a great pop-art effect.
Ever wished that you spent your childhood summers at an all-american summer camp? The contemporary 70s trend is for you. Think ringer tees, socks ‘n’ trainers, sporty shorts…the geekier the better for this hazy summer look. Worried you might be a little bit past the brownies and scouts phrase? Patch up a denim jacket or try out some kitschy accessories – we recommend a trip to our fair or flea for great novelty bags and baskets!
Feeling inspired to shop for ss16? Check out our upcoming dates to bag a bargain at a snip of the high street!
- Edinburgh’s Affordable Vintage Fair – 2nd April 2016
- Bethnal Green’s Affordable Vintage Fair – 3rd April 2016
- St. Andrew’s Affordable Vintage Fair – 3rd April 2016
- Cardiff Vintage Kilo Sale – 9th April 2016
- Leeds Affordable Vintage Fair – 9 April 2016
- The South London Vintage Furniture Flea- 2 Day Event! – 16&17th April 2016
- Edinburgh Vintage Kilo Sale – 16th April 2016
- Newcastle’s Affordable Vintage Fair – 17th April 2016
- Birmingham Vintage Kilo Sale – 23 April 2016
- Liverpool’s Affordable Vintage Fair – 23 April 2016
- The Bristol Vintage Furniture Flea – 24th April 2016
- Glasgow Vintage Kilo Sale – 30th Apr 2016
- Manchester’s Affordable Vintage Fair – 30th April 2016
- Cambridge Affordable Vintage Fair – 7th May 2016
- Ipswich’s Affordable Vintage Fair – 8th May 2016
- Bristol’s Affordable Vintage Fair – 8th May 2016
- Bethnal Green Vintage Clothing Kilo Sale – 8th May 2016
- Lincoln’s Affordable Vintage Fair – 14th May 2016
- Bath’s Affordable Vintage Fair – 15th May 2016
- Newcastle Vintage Kilo Sale– 15th May 2016
- Glasgow’s Affordable Vintage Fair – 21st May 2016
- The Leeds Vintage Furniture Flea – 21st May 2016
- Manchester Vintage Clothing Kilo Sale – 21st May 2016
- Nottingham Vintage Clothing Kilo Sale – 22nd May 2016
- South London Vintage Kilo Sale – Clapham – 28th May 2016
- Birmingham Vintage Kilo Sale – 4th June 2016
- The South London Vintage Furniture Flea – 12th June 2016